Dr. Jennifer Sjostedt Avery
Associate Director for Graduate Nursing Studies & Assistant Professor
"Ask questions and do your homework; not all online programs are equivalent and ‘online' doesn't mean online when it comes to completing practice hours for some degrees. Also, make sure you know what you can/want to do with your degree when you finish."
- Ph.D. – Marquette University, 2014
- MSN (Primary Care Gerontological Nurse Practitioner) – Marquette University, 2010
- BSN – West Virginia Wesleyan College, 2006
- Over 10 years of experience with volunteer clinics in Nicaragua
- 14 years as a Registered Nurse
- 10 years as a board-certified Gerontological Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Multiple publications and presentations, most recently a book chapter in "Pain-free writing for nurses: A step-by-step approach" (pp. 152-178), 2019
In which online degree program do you teach?
Which classes do you teach online?
Any in the RN to BSN program but predominantly NURS 483L4.
What do students learn in your classes? What is the expected outcome?
This answer greatly depends on the course being taught, as not all courses have the same expected outcome. In general, I expect that students will be successful in my courses so long as they are putting in the work.
When did you start teaching?
What advice would you give to those considering this online degree program?
Ask questions and do your homework. Not all online programs are equivalent, and "online" doesn't mean online when it comes to completing practice hours for some degrees. Also, make sure you know what you can/want to do with your degree when you finish.
What qualities make someone particularly successful in the nursing profession?
Perseverance, commitment, ambition, willingness to learn.
Tell us something that your students might find interesting, something they may not know about you.
I like to travel. I have been to over 15 different countries and on 100+ planes and counting. One of my more interesting travel stories relates to almost delivering a baby on a school bus in Nicaragua.