What Our Online Master's Degree in Educational Leadership Offers You
Be true to your passion for improving the state of education and become an exceptional school leader with Eastern Michigan University's 100% online master’s in educational leadership program. This CAEP-accredited degree program is designed to help you develop the professional leadership, research and management proficiencies you need to improve your school's system.
Gain the knowledge you need to manage school operations and resources and the skills to engage families and the community in meaningful, reciprocal and mutually beneficial ways to promote each student's academic success and well-being.
Taught by scholar practitioners, this online educational leadership program aligns with ELCC standards and enables you to qualify for the building level principal license in Michigan—in as few as 18 months.
Graduates of the M.A. in Educational Leadership online program will:
- Develop, advocate and enact a shared mission, vision and core values of high-quality education and academic success
- Act ethically and according to professional norms
- Strive for equity of educational opportunity and culturally responsive practices
- Develop and support intellectually rigorous and coherent systems of curriculum, instruction and assessment
- Cultivate an inclusive, caring and supportive school community
- Develop the professional capacity and practice of school personnel
- Foster a professional community of teachers and other professional staff
- Engage families and the community in meaningful, reciprocal and mutually beneficial ways
- Manage school operations and resources
- Act as agents of continuous improvement
Educational Leadership Career Paths:
- School Principal
- Assistant School Principal
- Teacher Leader
Eastern Michigan University offers a variety of graduate education programs and a post-master’s certificate online. Check out our other online education programs.
All professional education programs in the Eastern Michigan University College of Education are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and approved by the Michigan Department of Education.
Need More Information?
Tuition and Fees
Discover the Value of Our Low-Cost Tuition
The Master of Arts in Educational Leadership online program offers the same affordable, pay-by-the-course tuition to all online students whether they reside in or out of state. Financial aid may also be available for eligible students.
See the Dates You Need to Know
The M.A. in Educational Leadership online program features a convenient course schedule with multiple starts a year so you can maintain a balance between work, life and your studies. View the full calendar to find the best start date and corresponding deadlines for you.
|All||Start Date||Application Deadline||Document Deadline||Registration Deadline||Payment Deadline*|
Being Admitted to Our Online Master’s in Educational Leadership Program
The admission process is the first step to earning your M.A. in Educational Leadership online. Be sure to review all admission requirements, what additional materials you should send and where you need to send them.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Official transcripts from all previously attended institutions
- Undergrad GPA of at least 2.7 on a 4.0 scale
M.A. in Educational Leadership Online Admission Requirements
- Complete an application online and pay $45 application fee
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution, with an undergraduate GPA of 2.7
- GPA of 3.3 for applicants seeking a second master's degree
- Official transcripts
- Note: Effective July 1, 2022, the Graduate School will require only the official transcript from the degree-granting institution for admission consideration. Additional transcripts may be required by the program. Please note: International students are required to submit all transcripts along with a third-party transcript evaluation for admissions consideration.
- Resume detailing professional and educational experience
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors/advisors in the field
- On the graduate application, students must complete the personal statement of accomplishments and academic goals portion describing the reasons for requesting admission. This essay must be a minimum of 250 words and will be reviewed as an indicator of writing ability.
If you need to submit official documents by mail, send them to:Office of Admissions
Eastern Michigan University
P.O. Box 970
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Documentation can be sent via email to: [email protected].
Have a question? Call us at 844-351-9389.
What You’ll Learn in Your Educational Leadership Online Courses
In order to earn the online master’s degree in educational leadership, students must complete 12 courses (35 credit hours), including 32 credit hours of core courses and an additional three credit hours selected in consultation with the graduate advisor. All courses in the program are 7.5 weeks in length, with the exception of a 15-week capstone course. As an online student you will take all your classes with EMU instructors, just like you would if you were here on campus.
General Education courses may be needed for the completion of degree. After admission to the University, your academic adviser will assist in determining which courses are required to ensure your degree completion. Required general education courses can be taken online at the same program rate. For the complete listing of these requirements, visit the EMU general education page.
Ranked #1 in Michigan for "The Best Online Master's in Educational Administration Programs" by BestColleges.com (2016)