Master of Arts in Reading Online
Develop a strong foundation in reading and literacy skills and prepare to make a bigger impact on your students with your reading endorsement qualification.
What Our Online Master of Arts in Reading Offers You
The 100% online Master of Arts in Reading from Eastern Michigan University is designed for working teachers who want to become leaders in literacy instruction in their schools or districts. This online master’s in reading is practice based, founded in theory and offers a rigorous curriculum that deepens your expertise through contemporary educational research and real-world application.
Along with affordable tuition and a flexible academic calendar, EMU’s TEACH-grant eligible* M.A. in Reading online features coursework dedicated to digital literacy, listening and speaking, and helping educators develop the practical knowledge necessary to thrive in culturally and linguistically diverse K-12 settings. The faculty at EMU use their rich history of academic experience to create learning environments where students can easily connect the subject matter to their own classrooms.
EMU’s CAEP-accredited online M.A. in Reading leads to the Reading Specialist (BR), a K-12 endorsement from the state of Michigan. Students must complete all required courses in the program and successfully pass the Michigan State Endorsement Test (#092) to gain the Reading Specialist endorsement. The M.A. in Reading degree and Michigan endorsement as a K-12 Reading Specialist can lead to a position as a building or district literacy curriculum/reading specialist, literacy coach, or reading teacher for struggling readers.
Accreditation Body Long Curabitur lobortis enim ante, eu egestas dui consectetur et. Donec mollis, ante id tempus elementum, purus felis placerat nunc, vitae ultricies arcu nunc eu est. Suspendisse sit amet venenatis leo. Vestibulum tincidunt, ex ac blandit tincidunt, arcu nunc congue orci, non sodales nisi diam ut nulla.
Graduates of the M.A. in Reading online program will:
- Develop a strong theoretical foundation in reading and literacy and skills needed to address the needs of K-12 learners, particularly those who require specialized literacy intervention
- Gain an understanding of a wide range of instructional and assessment policies, programs, practices and resources supporting literacy development
- Learn to design literacy environments that engage learners in inquiry, research and communication, using print and online texts and new and emerging technologies
- Acquire the knowledge and expertise to work successfully in culturally and linguistically diverse K-12 settings
- Reading Specialist
- Building or District Literacy Curriculum/Reading Specialist
- Literacy Coach
- Reading Interventionist
Eastern Michigan University offers a variety of graduate education programs and a post-master's certificate online. Check out our other online education programs.
All professional education programs in the Eastern Michigan University College of Education are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and approved by the Michigan Department of Education.
Need More Information?
Tuition and Fees
Find Out More About Our Pay-As-You-Go Tuition
The Master of Arts in Reading online program offers the same affordable, pay-by-the-course tuition to all online students whether they reside in or out of state. Financial aid may also be available for eligible students.
|Program||Per Credit Hour||Per 3-Credit Hour Course||Per Program|
Cost of tuition does not include any additional applicable course fees, standard textbook fees or course materials.
Federal Financial Aid
If you would like to be considered for financial aid at Eastern Michigan University, you will need to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The Federal School Code for Eastern Michigan University is 002259.
*The maximum grant amount can vary by year. TEACH Grants are available to qualified applicants and require approved recipients to sign a service agreement for certain teaching service obligations for four academic years. If obligations are not met within eight years after graduation, the grant will turn into a Direct Unsubsidized Loan that must be repaid with all accrued interest from the date of disbursement. For more information, please visit: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/grants-scholarships/teach or contact the EMU Financial Aid Office.
View the Important Dates and Deadlines
The M.A. in Reading online program features a convenient course schedule with multiple starts a year so you can maintain a balance between work, life and your studies. View the full calendar to find the best start date and corresponding deadlines for you.
|All||Start Date||Application Deadline||Document Deadline||Registration Deadline||Payment Deadline*|
*Please visit https://www.emich.edu/registrar/index.php for Registration and Records part of term deadlines
**Please refer to the Student Business Services website for detailed information regarding payment due dates
***Payment due date is based upon the specific date registered, please visit https://www.emich.edu/sbs/ for more information
Have questions or need more information about our online programs?
Ready to take the next step toward earning your degree online?
See the Qualifications for Our Online M.A. in Reading Program
The admission process is the first step to earning your M.A. in Reading online. Be sure to review all admission requirements, what additional materials you should send and where you need to send them.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended
Master of Arts in Reading Online Admission Requirements
- Complete an application online and pay application fee
- Teaching Certificate*
- Michigan Provisional Certificate preferred, but not required
- Applicants with out-of-state Teaching Certificates must meet with an advisor.
- *Non-certified teachers or private school teachers must contact Dr. Linda Lewis-White before applying to discuss admission and ensure they understand that completion of the program does not lead to initial teaching certification or a reading endorsement/certification
- A four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or an equivalent degree from a non-U.S. institution
- Official transcript(s) sent from the registrar of the college/university attended
- Note: Effective July 1, 2022, the Graduate School will require only the official transcript from the degree-granting institution for admission consideration. Additional transcripts may be required by the program. Please note: International students are required to submit all transcripts along with a third-party transcript evaluation for admissions consideration.
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale, or 3.0 in the last half of the undergraduate program, is required for full admission. Applicants who do not meet minimum admission requirements may be considered for conditional admission
- Provisional admission can be made for students with a GPA of 2.5 in their undergraduate program if they have been working in the field of education and have completed an interview with the graduate program coordinator. Students must then complete 12 credit hours of graduate coursework with a GPA of 3.0 or higher for full admission to the graduate program
If you need to submit official documents by mail, send them to:Office of Admissions
Eastern Michigan University
P.O. Box 970
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Documentation can be sent via email to: [email protected].
Have a question? Call us at 844-351-9389.
Add to Your Reading Instruction Skills With These Master of Arts in Reading Courses
For the M.A. in Reading online, the curriculum is comprised of 11 courses covering 33 credit hours. Students are required to take 9 Reading courses, 1 Foundational course and choose 1 Curriculum course. As an online student, you will take all of your classes with EMU instructors, just like you would if you were here on campus.
Request More Information
Submit this form, and an Enrollment Specialist will contact you to answer your questions.