Discover what our online M.A.T. in Special Education offers you
The Master of Arts in Teaching in Special Education online program at Eastern Michigan University will give you the knowledge and skills necessary to serve children across the spectrum of special education. This program offers five areas of concentration: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Cognitive Impairment, Emotional Impairment, Learning Disabilities, and Physical and Other Health Impairment.
The Department of Special Education, and Communication Sciences and Disorders at EMU is one of the largest and most comprehensive special education and communication sciences and disorders units in the U.S. Courses are taught by professors with significant practical experience in special education. Field experience is embedded in the coursework.
Potential job titles include special education teacher for students with various impairments. This is a high-demand position in most of the U.S. EMU has almost 100% placement for SPED graduates. This program does not lead to endorsement, however, graduates can take the Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification (MTTC) in your special education area.
EMU students are nurtured and supported by our faculty. Graduates have access to a large network of educators and administrators across the U.S.
Accreditation Body Long Curabitur lobortis enim ante, eu egestas dui consectetur et. Donec mollis, ante id tempus elementum, purus felis placerat nunc, vitae ultricies arcu nunc eu est. Suspendisse sit amet venenatis leo. Vestibulum tincidunt, ex ac blandit tincidunt, arcu nunc congue orci, non sodales nisi diam ut nulla.
Graduates of the Master of Arts in Teaching in Special Education online program will be able to:
- Collect data for behavior and academic decisions and analyze that data in order to make informed choices for changes to behavioral and academic programming to benefit the K-12 student
- Gain an understanding of the theory of learning from a neurological perspective, and engage in strong field experiences connecting theory to reality
- Learn to master diverse modes of inquiry, through careful examination of current research in the field as well as observational research, creating hypotheses for probable cause, then test those hypotheses by implementing new interventions that will benefit the student
- Acquire and practice the skills to make adaptations for students from diverse cultures, linguistic background, socioeconomic status and abilities
Special Education career opportunities:
- Special Education Teacher
- Behavior Intervention Specialist
- Instructional Coordinator
Eastern Michigan University offers a variety of graduate education programs and a post-master’s certificate online. Check out our other online education programs.
All professional education programs in the Eastern Michigan University College of Education are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and approved by the Michigan Department of Education.
Need More Information?
Tuition and Fees
Pay for your online program by the course
Whether you reside in or out of state, the M.A. in Teaching in Special Education online program offers the same affordable, pay-as-you-go tuition. Financial aid may also be available for students who qualify.
View the important dates for our students
The M.A. in Teaching in Special Education online program is convenient and accessible—featuring multiple start dates each year. View the full calendar to find the class start that works best for you, along with deadlines for submitting your application, enrolling in courses and paying tuition.
|All||Start Date||Application Deadline||Document Deadline||Registration Deadline||Payment Deadline*|
*Please visit https://www.emich.edu/registrar/index.php for Registration and Records part of term deadlines
**Please refer to the Student Business Services website for detailed information regarding payment due dates
***Payment due date is based upon the specific date registered, please visit https://www.emich.edu/sbs/ for more information
Find your fit in our online M.A.T. in Special Education program
We’ve streamlined the admission process for the M.A. in Teaching in Special Education online program. Please review all admission requirements, what additional materials you should send and where you need to send them.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergrad GPA of at least 2.7 on a 4.0 scale
- Teaching Certificate
Master of Arts in Teaching in Special Education Online Admission Requirements
- Complete an application online and pay application fee
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution, with an undergraduate GPA of 2.7
- Submit names of two references who are aware of student’s capabilities
- Submit teaching certificate
- Official transcript(s) sent from the registrar of the college/university attended
If you need to submit official documents by mail, send them to:Office of Admissions
Eastern Michigan University
P.O. Box 970
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Documentation can be sent via email to: [email protected].
Have a question? Call us at 844-351-9389.
Take a look at the online M.A.T. Special Education courses
In order to earn the Master of Arts in Teaching in Special Education online, students must complete a total of 30-39 credit hours, depending on whether the student currently has a SPED endorsement. Students will take 15 hours of core coursework and 11-12 hours of concentration courses. Additionally, students will take 4 hours if they currently have a SPED endorsement, and 12 hours if they do not. As an online student you will take all your classes with EMU instructors, just like you would if you were here on campus.
Ranked among the "Best Online Graduate Education Programs" by U.S. News & World Report (2017)