Opal Patricia Lesse
"By the end of the semester, the student will be able to reflect on how the new knowledge of self-care can be incorporated into their lives at home, workplace and the community to decrease stress and overcome barriers."
- MSN, FNP – Michigan State University, 2000
- BSN – University of Michigan, 1994
- ADN (RN) – Washtenaw Community College, 1978
- • Authored "Prostate Cancer Screening for the Primary Care Provider," published online in 2000
In which online degree program do you teach?
What do students learn in your classes? What is the expected outcome?
By the end of the semester, students will be able to:
- Discuss stress-induced biological, sociocultural and environmental influences on health
- Analyze negative self-care factors that may affect ability to access appropriate health care services and institute health-promoting, disease-prevention activities
- Analyze application of physiology, pathophysiology, and nursing interventions for self-care within clinical area of expertise
- Identify the barriers in nursing that prevent self-care
- Identify stress-related health issues and apply self-care practices into their lives at home, the workplace and the community to decrease stress and overcome barriers
When did you start teaching?
What qualities make someone particularly successful in the nursing profession?
Emotional intelligence, philosophy, theorists (Watson), a love to teach and the education and expertise to offer the wisdom. I have walked in their shoes.
What do you think is the biggest challenge that nurses face today?
Short staffing, low wages, compassion fatigue, and burnout. Not enough educators to teach the nursing classes and not enough funding to hire them.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
"We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of the American Women Trapped on Bataan" by Elizabeth Norman.
Tell us something that your students might find interesting, something they may not know about you.
I have a house full of plants, two rescue puppies and five adult children. I was born in the mountains of Virginia and love to cook and bake exotic recipes. There are many in my family; I am the first one to graduate HS and college.